School Tips for parents - starting off the 2016/17 school year!
A new schedule can cause anxiety even for kids and parents who have been through it many times! Extra support may be needed in the first few weeks.
Here are a few hints to help along the way:
- Be available in the mornings and evenings for support
- Open and consistent communication is key
- Schedule an activity for your child and a few of their schoolmates to reconnect
- Check school websites for 'good to know' info
- Monitor social media for appropriate interactions
- Study with your child for upcoming quizzes and tests
Prepare Ahead of Time
- Adjust your sleep schedule, starting tonight!
- Arrange for a place in the house to do homework and gather necessary materials there
Plan for Emergencies
- Make a plan for potential conflict at school. Where will your child go and who can they talk with? Fitting in, tough classes and adjusting to the routine are all potential anxiety producers.
The most important thing for both you and your child: Stay Positive and Have Fun!
Graduation Plans and Endorsement Information