Incoming 7th Grade Summer Reading Assignment
Part 1: Students will read two books this summer.
Book One is a required novel:
Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
You must also choose and read any book from the below list. Read BOTH BOOKS over the summer.
- The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
- Notes from an Accidental Band Geek by Erin Dionne
- Powerless by Matthew Cody
- Ungifted by Gordon Kormon
- Heidi by Joanna Spyri
- Take me to the River by Will Hobbs
- The Always War by Margaret Peterson Haddix
- Wish by Joseph Monniger
- Kizzy Ann Stamps by Jeri Watts
- We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
- When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
Part 2: Students will annotate, make notes, while reading the two novels. Make any notes you like in the books, if they are your own books. Use sticky notes or a sheet of paper if the book is not your own. If you are reading on an electronic device, use the note-taking tools the device provides.
For both books you will want to know the following things:
- Who are the main characters? What are they like?
- Who are some of the minor characters? What are they like?
- How would you summarize the plot of the story?
- Where and when does the book take place?
- Who is telling the story? (1st or 3rd person point of view)
- What life lesson, or theme, is the author trying to teach through this novel?
Once school begins, you will complete assignments for the two novels. These will be given to you in English class. The due dates and assignment will be provided by your English teacher at the start of the school year.