Dear Bailey Parents,
Today, Monday, November 28, 2016, we were notified that a Bailey student has been diagnosed as having shigella. The notification came from the Austin/Travis County Health and Human Services Department. Shigella infection (shigellosis) is an intestinal disease caused by a family of bacteria known as shigella. The main sign of shigella infection is diarrhea. Normally, the infection is passed from one person to another through the lack of handwashing after bowel movements. Although the main symptom is diarrhea, shigella can also cause fever, stomach cramps, nausea, and vomiting.
In order to decrease the risk of spreading this illness among staff, students, and their families, we are sending out this notification so that families can observe the recommended precautions. (See attachment). The attachment gives very good information on this illness, and should answer most questions you may have. We have also attached this link to the CDC's website that will also answer most questions.
As a precaution at school, our custodial staff is following the recommended AISD protocols for disinfection involving these kinds of situations. Our nurse's office is also aware of the situation.
The recommended precautions rely heavily on standard sanitary practices we all should be following everyday. Please help us remind the children about washing our hands regularly with soap and water before having snacks or meals, and especially after using the restroom.
A letter and copy of the attachment were sent home with students 11/28/16.
Gordon A. Bailey Middle School
4020 Lost Oasis Hollow
Austin, TX 78739