Bailey 8th graders and parents: Several important events are coming up for your child to help in the transition to high school and choosing their high school classes. Please be aware that there are no “make-up” dates for these events so please arrange your schedules accordingly.
- January 31st, all 8th graders living in the Bowie High School boundaries, will go on a field trip to visit Bowie.
- January 29th, Akins High School will have their course showcase night at Akins.
- February 6th, Bowie will have their course showcase night at Bowie.
These showcase nights are the only in-person opportunity for 8th graders to learn about high school classes available. A flyer will be sent home with times for these events in January. Again the evening of January 29th for Akins and February 6th for Bowie. If your child will attend a different high school, you will need to contact that high school for important transition information and event dates.
- February 12th, Akins and Bowie counselors will visit with students during school to help them with the course selection process for next year.
- February 12th, Akins choice sheet due
- February 20th, Bowie choice sheet due
Future Akins students should be prepared to fill out and turn in their choice sheet on February 12th. This means they and their parents should visit the Akins website starting in January to view the choice sheets and class information before coming to school on February 12th (students will not receive a paper copy of the choice sheet before the 12th).
Future Bowie students will receive their choice sheet on February 12th and will turn it in to their science teacher on Thursday, February 20th. Again high school choice sheets and course offerings are available on the Akins and Bowie websites: www.akinseagles.org and www.jbhs.org.
Bowie and Akins counselors will also be available at Bailey on February 19th from 4-6pm to answer student and parent questions regarding their individual course choices and to make any changes.